Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Mountains

- The fort
Our hike back up the mountain to find Em's sweater. Luckily it was not up too far.

-Playing War with Great Grandpa

We just got back from visiting my grandparent's cabin in Strawberry. I love that place. The weather was gorgeous. Cousins, grandparents, and parents made it so fun. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of being in the mountains. The cool breeze blowing, flawless nature everywhere. So much of my testimony as a child was fortified as I felt the Spirit in those mountainous forests.

Dan and most of the rest of my extended family spent only the holiday weekend there. My mom stayed with the kids and me. It was awesome. The kids collected bugs, rode bikes, hiked up the mountain, and built forts. We played games and visited my Great Aunts and Uncles whose cabins surround ours. They got a sucker from hugging Aunt Sally and they helped Uncle John milk his goats. Then they got to drink the goats milk they helped collect with their breakfast the next day. I'm so glad our kids love my extended family as much as I do.

Even Adam enjoyed the mountains. I loved watching his face as I rocked him on the porch swing. He was completely captivated by the breeze on his face, the sounds of birds, and the trees everywhere. He never stopped looking about. The peace and quiet joy he felt from the whole experience was evident even on his perpetually serene face.

As we rounded the corner to Gilbert Ranch, Josh sighed with delight at being home again. Emi on the other hand declared that she loved the cabin more than home. Can you blame her?

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ahem, pictures???? I'm sad we couldn't go this time, but I know there will be plenty of cabin opportunities this summer!

mama cow said...

The cabin sounds like such a relaxing time! Guess what I am coming down the end of June and I hauling the kids with me. I cant wait to see you!

Kristen said...

That sounds like you had a blast!! I missed you at church on Sunday! I hope you are doing well and enjoying life back home! :) (P.S. Do you agree the cabin is better than home!?) Just kidding!

Kelli said...

I do not blame her at all! I love visiting the mountains. My grandparents have a small house in Springerville and although it isn't a cabin, its just a cozy place to visit full of memories and the spirit!