Monday, September 15, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jen!

It's Dan and I approve this message (I also wrote it)...

Today, September 15, is a great day. It's the day Jennifer was born. 12 years ago I wouldn't have been able to tell you what a great day in the world's history this was. But since then I've learned. Presidents, writers, baseball players, musicians, and actors all share the same birthday but none of them made today as special as when Jen came into the world 32 years ago.

If Jen wouldn't have been born, this world would be a much sadder place. I know I would have been a lot less happy! Without trying to be too sappy, Jennifer is the sunshine in my life. I wake up every day and am excited to get out of bed because I know that she is there with me and I get to see her beautiful face. Even on days I am not at home or she is visiting family and we aren't together, I still wake up knowing that she is somewhere in the world. I've stolen enough secret glances to know her beauty just by closing my eyes. And that makes my day.

If Jennifer weren't here, the world would have been graced with three less beautiful children. For the most part, Joshua, Emily and Adam are really good kids. And that is because of Jennifer. If they ever do anything wrong, you can blame me for that.


Jennifer has a lot of talents. Some that are very noticeable. Some that maybe aren't so much.

Most people know she is an expert dress maker and loves to sew. If someone needs a little fix on an outfit, Jen is the one they come to if they can't do it themselves. She can fix just about anything with a few stitches and a little time. She has a beautiful voice. Before we got married, I promised her brother Derek that I would continue to encourage Jen to sing after we got married. I probably need to do a better job of that (sorry, Derek). But if you've ever heard her, you know she sings beautifully. I love when she sings around the house. She is a great chef. She is always figuring out new ways to make old foods so they are both more interesting and healthier. She can slip vegetables into foods so the kids (and I) don't even know they're there. Now that takes talent!

But the less-noticeable talents are the ones I love the most about Jen. She cares about everyone. If she notices that someone needs help, she is the first to be there. If someone isn't feeling well, she'll make them some food (see above for why this is such a good thing) and bring it over. She's also really "in tune" with people around her. She just knows when someone feeling well or needs a loving hug or just someone to talk to. If I notice someone may need something, I'll throw out the usual "Let me know what I can do." Jen doesn't wait for someone to let her know. She just does it.

I don't think I am overstating anything when I say that Jen is probably the best person I know. I am lucky to have found her and to have somehow convinced her to marry me. She is my entire life and without her, I would be lost. And for selfish reasons, that's why I celebrate this day. Because without Jen, what kind of world would this be?

6 comments:

Terese Hamilton said...

Here Here!! You are so great! Happy Birthday Jen! (btw, you have a terrific hubby too)

Lindsay said...

Awh, how sweet! Happy Birthday, Jen!

Denny said...

OK, Dan you're back in the will. -- Your father-in-law. Seriously, Dan, I wish every woman would be loved like you love our daughter.
Dennis Palmer :)

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Jen!!I hope you had an awesome day.

STACEY said...

Happy Birthday hope you had a great day...for that matter a WONDERFUL year too!

Amy said...

Dan you are too sweet! Jen is one of the most wonderful, amazing people I know. I remember one year on my birthday, she was the first person to call me to wish me a happy birthday. Even before Landon or my own mother!! Happy Birthday Jen-you're the best