Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Favorite Book


As a child, one of my favorite books was "Little Black Sambo." I know. It is completely shrouded in controversy I will never understand. To me it was a story about courage, jealousy, triumph and Tiger Pancakes! Does it really get better than that? I loved the exotic colors and styles. I just had to find a copy of my own, but it couldn't be any old copy. I needed a book exaclty like the one I grew up reading. After years of searching for apparently the most rare edition of this story with illustrations by Bonnie & Bill Rutherford, I finally bought my own copy! It doesn't have a cover (sad, I know), but at least it didn't cost $50+ dollars. This afternoon I read it to my kids, who loved all the same things I loved. Tigers melting into butter, bold colors, exotic places, & tiger pancakes

3 comments:

Dan Hilton said...

Pancakes...mmmmmm.

This is what I love about Jen. Sharing things that she loved with our kids so they can learn to see the good things in the world - wherever they might be.

Alisa said...

I'm not familiar with this book but I love a good controversy. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it!

Pam said...

Jen, where did you find this book? I loved that book when I was a child.