Friday, November 14, 2008

The Art of Anticipation

Instant gratification is such common place in today's life. I have to admit I am a bit guilty myself. The internet & cable allow me access to information and entertainment almost instantly. I can reach anyone no matter their location via cell phone. With all of these conveniences, I do worry about the world my children grow up in. Do my kids get everything and instantly?
So without being too depriving, we as a family, have tried to practice the art of anticipation. The kids have been dying to go to Disneyland for just forever. We could have gone a year and a half ago, but for various reasons decided to wait. We shared with the kids our goal of when we did want to go and let them know we would save our money all year for our planned trip.
Publish Post
Somehow all the waiting and saving makes the trip more exciting, more valued, more anticipated. And now that we've waited and saved we can afford to do so many more fun things and have more perks now than if we would have gone initially.

1 comment:

mama cow said...

My favorite thing to say to Cassie when she asks for something is do you want to buy that or do you want to go to Disneylad? I think she is really starting to understand it too. 24 days!