Friday, November 14, 2008

Simple Life


The few years ago we began to simplify things in our family. One of the things we decided to make simple was Christmas. It is so easy for us to want to buy our kids a bunch of cool things. Naturally. However, with so much family near us & the realization that "really how much stuff do we really need?!"....we decided to keep Christmas presents pretty simple. Please note that our unwrapping time is not understated. We wrap everything. Even the fun little trinkets and treats in the stocking. Then we open one gift at a time so everyone can share in each others excitement. Granted our kids are not teenagers with super expensive expectations, but it is a tradition I am glad we have had.

This week on the news various news anchors and child psychology experts were discussing how parents could explain to children that Christmas & gift giving would be less extravagant . "Santa" simply could not afford the the usual expectations. I smiled and giggled to myself, knowing that our gift lists would not change a bit with the changes in the economy. Our Christmas would be the same as ever. Simple and Sweet!

2 comments:

mama cow said...

I cant stand all the comercials on tv for toys around this time of year but I was surprised that when I told Cassie the reason why she would not be getting that for Christmas she understood and now is explaining it to Jess. This year we are going to Disneyland for Christmas so that is the extent of thier gift. I did get them a few things to open on Christmas day but I know they will be just as happy with the little they will get then with the lots we could give them. I still remember the Christmas we came down the stairs and the presents came 5 or 6 feet out from under the tree (that may be a childs exageration but it was a HUGE Christmas) anyway it took just minutes to rip into everything and then one of us looked around when it was all done and said "thats it?" I dont really want my kids to feel that way about Christmas so we too do small but meaningful Christmas.

My World said...

Amen, Jen! I think we could all use the idea of simplify...and magnify it!!! :) I'm glad I found your blog.