Friday, June 20, 2008

Starburst


My friend Rachel was blogging about her kids bringing home the "mother load" of snacks from a convenience store yesterday. That took me way back in my childhood. I must have been 10 or 11 years old and we still lived in our house on Fountain Circle, next to the Spilsbury's. Our back fences lined the east side of Gilbert Road and just west of Gilbert was a strip mall, where a brand new drug store just opened. There were not a lot of places to go besides wandering the neighborhood, so this store meant freedom. With money in our pockets and a new candy on store shelves, Holly Spilsbury and I convinced our moms to let us walk ALL BY OURSELVES to the new store.

When we got there we found that the store shelves were well stocked with the brand new flavor of Starburst candy. Does anyone remember when Pink Strawberry was NOT an original flavor? In fact, Strawberry was so such a new flavor that they made whole packs filled only with Strawberry. Yes! So what did we do....we spent all of our money buying 5 packs of Strawberry Starburts. We must have been rich. Wasn't candy like $0.25 back then? Anyway, we ate the majority of the candy we had bought that same afternoon. Needless to say, we were sick to our stomaches and had so many canker sores from all the sugar and acid. It was awful. But I suppose that is the price of freedom.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Great memory! I have a similar one I'll post. Strawberry are still my very favorite!

mama cow said...

So the question is can you still eat starburst? I think it was Marc who drank so much canned cherry juice that he puked and still cant stand canned cherries.

Jen Hilton said...

After a long break, I still love pink the best

Erin said...

That makes me think about how we used to walk from Grandma Janssen's house down to the IGA every summer and buy orange Tic Tacs and Juicy Fruit. That was one of the highlights of our summer vacation every year (along with our trip to Emo's)!

Amy said...

Hey Jen, check out my last blog oh and sorry in advance

sara said...

I LOVE PINK STARBURST...i am always saying they should sell ONLY The pink in a bag....i think i will drop them a line and maybe they'll bring the pink only bag back!