Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'm So Sneaky!


I am sooooo sneaky! Last night I decided to make that potato casserole that everyone makes. You know, grated potatoes, "cream of something" soup, grated cheese....Well since I don't know how to make my own "cream of anything" soup yet (which one day I hope to be able to do), I decided to add some fresh veggies to give it a little fresher flavor. I started to saute some onions, garlic and celery to soften them up a little. As I pulled my veggies from the fridge, I saw the sweet potatoes and zucchini in there too. That is when genius happened. I peeled and grated both, added them to the saute pan to cook them a little and then mixed all the veggies in the casserole. They were completely disguised! The zucchini almost matched the color of the potatoes and the sweet potato looked like cheese. Now my kids are pretty good about eating anything, even veggies, but I was so glad that I could make this generations-old recipe a little more healthy. The best part...NO one noticed the difference in the casserole! I am sooooo sneaky.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That is hilarious! Again - I am pretty much the worst cook in the world, so I would have been scared to add anything that wasn't in the recipe - so you go Jen! :) Thanks for letting me chat your ear off yesterday! You're the best!

Lori ~ LL-K said...

That is so sneaky!! Good job!!
I love when we can sneak a little extra nutrition into our kids! :)